Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Peach Crisp


Every summer I like to (have to) make some kind of peach pie or cobbler.  Where I live fresh peaches are available for most of the year, but in the summer they're big, juicy and super sweet!  I've tried slicing and freezing them for off season enjoyment, but it just wasn't the same.  I have canned them, but the work for the pay off wasn't really there for me (not to mention the amount of cuts on my hand trying to slice them after peeling the skins off).  So, I guess that leaves me to eat as much as possible while they're good.  Oh darn.



Today I made a peach crisp.  I was excited to try it since I'll normally make an apple crisp and use peaches in a cobbler.  I'm happy to say the peaches did not disappoint!




First, I made the crisp topping.  Place the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and cold, cubed butter in a medium bowl.  Do you have this little guy in the back of your drawer and wonder what it's for?  Now's the time- cut the cold butter into the other ingredients.  If you're using an 8x8 pan you can easily double this topping recipe.



It should look like this when your done.  Set that aside.



Next, cube the peaches and place in a baking dish.  I used 5 peaches for this small dish, no need to remove the skins.  I left the cubes on the big size because they'll cook down a bit.  Once cubed add in sugar and corn starch.  Fold the sugar and cornstarch in gently since the peaches are super soft.  I like using cornstarch, rather than flour, in fruit dishes because it makes a really syrup-y consistency as it bakes.



And finally, add the crisp on top of the fruit.  Place in a 375F oven for about 30 minutes.



Look at that!  Fresh from the oven all brown and bubbly.  Delicious!



Fruit Crisp


topping:
1 c brown sugar
1 c oatmeal
1/2 c flour
1 stick cold butter, cubed

fruit:
8 peaches for 8x8 dish, cubed
1/2 c sugar (or less is your fruit is super juicy)
2 T cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375F.  Combine brown sugar, oatmeal and flour in a medium bowl.  Cut in butter til it resembles small peas.  Set aside.  Prepare fruit and place in baking dish.  Add in sugar and cornstarch, gently combine til sugar and cornstarch is evenly distributed.  Top with crisp and bake for 30-35 minutes.  ~Enjoy




5 comments:

  1. This sounds super easy and it looks so good. I plan to bake this on Saturday. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM- I made a marionberry crisp last week. I love crisps, they are SO easy and so good! Definitely need to make peach now. Thanks for recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! I love peach desserts too! Gonna have to make this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy Beth! I just bought a box of peaches yesterday and wondered what I was going to do with all of them, peach crisp of course! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for dessert tonight. Sooooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe =)

    ReplyDelete