Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Slow Cooker Saturday!



I've been making this recipe for years.  It's good for just our family or for feeding a whole crowd of people, which I've done many times.  I must have gotten the Fix It And Forget It cook book as a wedding gift (and crock pot of course) because I remember making Cranberry Chicken from it when we were first married and I was working full time.  I think if I got the book today I would have passed by this recipe because it's kind of funny and not something I would gravitate to now.  But  I'm glad I made it when I didn't know any better because it rocks!  At some point I made the chicken into chicken salad and it stuck.  I hope you like it too:)

Begin a day ahead by slow cooking the cranberry chicken.  



Place an onion and about 3 stalks of celery in the crock pot.  You can leave these cut pretty big, you won't use them in the final dish.



On top of that add 1 can whole cranberry sauce, 1 cup bbq sauce, salt & pepper.


Add in chicken, stirring to coat chicken in sauce.  Set heat to low and cook 4-6 hours.


When chicken is done place it in a bowl with some cooking liquid, cover and refrigerate overnight.


In the morning chop the cooled chicken...


add in chopped celery and craisins...


mayo, mustard plus more salt & pepper. Mix well.


This is what it'll look like, kind of a messy job:-/  Stick it back in the fridge until mealtime.  Before serving taste and adjust seasonings.


Cranberry Chicken
from Fix It And Forget It

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
3-4 celery stalks, chopped
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1 c bbq sauce
salt & pepper

Place onion & celery in the crock pot.  On top of that add cranberry & bbq sauces, salt & pepper.  Mix well.  Add in chicken and stir, making sure chicken is fully coated & submerged in sauce.  Set to low and cook for 4-6 hours.

Remove the chicken to a bowl along with some of the cooking liquid.  Cover and refrigerate over night.

In the morning take out your chicken and chop, place it back in the bowl.  Add to it 3-4 stalks of chopped celery, 1/2'ish cup craisins (to your liking) mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.  Using a wooden spoon (I have actually broken one of those soft spatulas trying to mix this thoroughly! You'll need some elbow grease here;) ) mix until the chicken is shredded and ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.  Place back in the fridge until meal time.  Before serving give it a taste.  I usually need to add a bit more mayo, salt & pepper.  You don't want it to taste like salt and pepper, but if seasoned right then you'll really just taste all the different flavors in the salad.

I like to serve this in a pita pocket with shredded lettuce, some cut up fruit and veggies on the side:)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment