Monday, October 15, 2012

Chili



It's official.  It's comfort food season.  I'm not a huge fan of casseroles, but I do love a good soup or stew to warm me up on a cold, wet day.  Today I'm kicking off the season with chili in the crock pot and my house smells amazing!  This recipe could not be easier.



While you brown some onion and hamburger in a skillet put tomatoes, tomato puree, beans, and chilies in the crock pot.



I add all the seasonings to the meat while it cooks, in addition to salt and pepper I have chili powder, cumin and garlic.



When the meat is fully cooked through add it to the crock pot.



Stir well and cook on low for 6 hours.



Done!  So simple and so delicious.  I put a dollup of sour cream and sprinkle of cheese on mine.  Corn bread is always welcome to the party, too!  Click here for for that yummy recipe.


Trail Chili
adapted from Fix It and Forget It

1 1/2 lbs hamburger
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chili powder
2 t salt
2 t pepper
1 t ground cumin
2- 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
1- 8 oz can tomato puree
1- 16 oz can beans (I use pinquitos)
1- 4 oz can diced green chilies

Saute onion in olive oil and salt til translucent, add garlic, hamburger and remaining spices, cook til meat is fully cooked through.  While meat is cooking add remaining ingredients to the crock pot.  Add in meat, stir until well combined and cook on low for 6 hours.  Garnish with sour cream and cheddar cheese, serve with corn bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment