Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins



I do love marking the seasons by cooking with seasonal ingredients.  Today I'm celebrating fall with one of my favorite recipes, given to me years ago by a dear friend.  She gave it to me as banana bread, but I've made this recipe into many, many different kinds and each time I make it it comes out perfectly delicious.  So use this as a good muffin/quick bread recipe with your favorite spin.




Beginning with the dry ingredients, combine into a large bowl and set aside.




In a smaller bowl mix wet ingredients thoroughly.



Pour wet into dry and mix just til combined, making sure to not over mix.  (note: I made this before my first cup of coffee and didn't add enough oil, which is why my batter looks so thick.  They still came out just fine!  See, the perfect recipe:)



Fill 2/3'ish full into a paper lined muffin tin and bake.



I don't normally, but since I need a little extra help mourning the loss of summer I'm taking my muffins over the top with cream cheese frosting.  In a large mixing bowl beat your (cold) cream cheese, room temp butter and vanilla.  I know you thought you needed room temp cream cheese, but you don't!  You will definitely need room temp butter though!!!




Add in sifted (YES, SIFTED) powdered sugar and mix well.



Place in a gallon ziploc bag and place in fridge to chill until your muffins are completely cooled.



I like doing a simple swirl on my muffins and cup cakes.  I'm not really the cake decorating sort, so this is a pretty fool proof method that looks impressive, but is not hard at all.  Cut the bottom corner off the bag (the bigger the whole the bigger your swirl).  Starting on the outside of the muffin squeeze frosting out in a swirling motion til you reach the center, give the frosting bag a little lift to break the stream and to finish with a cute little spike and voila your done.



Now repeat about 2 dozen times!  So pretty:)  Enjoy!


Pumpkin Muffins
from Heather

3/4 c ap flour
3/4 ground flax seed
1/2 c ww flour
1 1/2 pumpkin pie spice
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c buttermilk
1 egg
3 T canola oil

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line muffin tin with paper cups if you wish, set aside.  Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.  In a smaller bowl combine wet ingredients well.  Pour wet into dry and mix just til combined.  Pour into muffin tin til 2/3'ish full.  Bake for about 18 minutes, or til cooked through.  Cool on a wire rack before frosting.  Makes 12 muffins, doubles well.

Note: substitute any flavor for the pumpkin- banana, zucchini, applesauce would be good, although I've never tried, you get the idea.  Make sure you adjust your dry seasonings accordingly.

Cream Cheese Frosting
from Joy of Cooking

1- 8 oz brick cream cheese, cold
5 T butter, room temp
1 t vanilla
2- 2 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted

In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla.  Add powdered sugar in slowly while mixer is on.  Mix til just combined.  Place in ziploc bag in fridge til ready to frost.

2 comments: