Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hawaiian Grilled Chicken



I've discovered that I have a love for all things coconut.  I want to make a public apology to my family who is subject to the food I make.  I will try to not go so far that we're eating it for breakfast lunch and dinner, but I fear it may be too late even for that.

Ok, now that my conscience is clear let me share with you my new favorite chicken recipe that not only has coconut in the marinade, it's served with coconut rice! YUM!



Starting with the rice. I use plain white rice, but I have a few tricks to make it super yummy.



For this recipe I have 2 c rice in a medium sauce pan with 1 can coconut milk plus 1 cup water and a pinch of salt.  Give it a stir, place lid on and place over medium heat.  When you hear it coming to a boil give it another stir, replace lid, turn heat to low.  I don't have a cooking time, I just watch it.  When the liquid is all soaked up I turn the heat off and let it sit with the lid on until ready for dinner.  But I get a head start on the rice because it'll need to sit off the heat for about 20-30 minutes before it's ready to eat.  If your just making white rice then use all water, about 2 3/4 cup for 2 cups rice.



Now for the chicken, I mixed the marinade in a ziploc bag, making sure to leave the onions and garlic pretty large so that when I grill the meat it doesn't stick to the meat.  We're just looking for flavor, not to have the veggies in the finished dish.  Then cut up the chicken and place in marinade over night.



To cook place a grill pan on medium heat (because of the sugar in the marinade you don't want to cook it too hot) with some canola oil.  Blot the chicken to remove the excess marinade and grill for a couple minutes on each side, til cooked through then place on a platter.



Hawaiian Grilled Chicken
adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c water
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c onion, chopped large
1 garlic clove, smashed- not chopped
1 t sesame oil
1 c coconut milk (freeze leftovers or use in rice)

Mix all ingredients in ziploc bag and refrigerate over night.  To cook, warm an oiled grill pan over medium heat, grill chicken for 2-3 minutes or til cooked through.  Place on platter to serve.

Coconut Rice

2 cups white rice (not minute rice)
1 can coconut milk
1 c water
pinch salt

Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan and cover.  Cook on medium heat til begins to boil, stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer til all liquid is absorbed.  Turn heat off and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment