Thursday, September 6, 2012

French Toast Cups with Peach Slices



I'm trying a few new recipes this week.  I made this French Toast recipe for breakfast yesterday.  It was day two of the new school year so I thought I would make it easy on myself by making breakfast a day ahead of time make a fun breakfast for my boys:)

I found this recipe at ohmyveggies.com.  Of course I tweaked it to make it a little healthier.  The boys really enjoyed it, plus I got bonus mom points for making a "weekend" breakfast on a school day.  Hey, I'll take all the brownie points I can get!



Begin with about 6 slices of bread.  I'm using Dave's Killer Bread (made locally, uses Bob's Red Mills grains and no preservatives).  Tear the pieces into 1/2 chunks and stuff into the muffin tin.



Slice 2 peaches thinly and place on top of bread.  Push it down in if you need to.



Whisk remaining ingredients in a small bowl....



..then pour over the bread and peaches.  Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.  If you have time to bake in the morning then you can do this the night before.



When you take it out of the fridge put a few sprinkles of brown sugar on each muffin.  Bake at 325F for at least 35 minutes, mine took about 50, so just til the egg is firm and the edges are a bit crispy.



When I took it out of the oven it looked like it was overflowing from the tins...



but after cooling for just a few minutes it went back down.



Use a butter knife to loosen around the edges and remove from the pan.  Serve warm or chill til ready to serve.



*Changes I'll make next time: bake it in a casserole, this was super messy and the pan was pretty tough to clean; cube the peaches a little bigger and toss with a bit of sugar to make them more syrupy before baking.

French Toast Cups with Sliced Peaches
adapted from ohmyveggies.com

6 slices whole wheat stale bread
2 large peaches, sliced
3 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c 1/2 & 1/2
1 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
5-6 T brown sugar, divided

Spray a muffin tin with no stick spray.  Tear bread evenly into muffin tin, top with sliced peaches.  In a small bowl whisk remaining ingredients- using only 3 T brown sugar.  Pour evenly over bread/peaches.  Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight.  When ready to bake heat oven to 325F.  Remove plastic wrap from muffins, top each muffin with a sprinkling of brown sugar.  Bake for 35 minutes or til egg is set and edges are crispy.  Use a butter knife to loosen muffins from tin.  Enjoy:)

1 comment: