Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Good Muffins


I was a bit hesitant to post this muffin recipe...after all I WANT people to read my blog! And let's face it, if it's good for you it must not taste good, right? Well, here I am posting it and as I was brainstorming out loud about a name for these muffins the 11 year old says "call'em the good muffins!" Out of the mouths of babes! That's right, my kids LOVE these muffins, they even cheer and THANK ME every time I make them. What's the big deal? Ummmm...they are dairy free, sugar free and oil free...there I said it. Basically all the things we are accustomed to in a baked good (and not good for you) is gone. Let me add, too, that there is no ap flour with an option to be completely flour free, aka gluten free. So these are the good tasting AND good for you muffins:)

Let me begin with showing you a few special ingredients I'm using. Don't be scared, if you try it I promise you'll like it!


First, these are the bananas I use. I keep my extra ripe bananas in the freezer for 2 reasons. 1- I can use them when I'm ready, not when they are, and 2- the freezer changes the texture into a super soft mushy texture that is perfect for baking with. Just microwave on high for about 2 minutes, peel of the top and slip into the bowl. Easy.


Second, I have coconut crystals. They are a low-glycemic sugar substitute that you can find at Whole Foods. That means that you won't have a sugar crash in about 30 minutes. They're totally natural and organic, so you can feel good about putting them in your family's bodies. Coconut Crystals aren't as sweet as sugar, but that hasn't bothered anyone in our family. If you don't want to add this it won't affect the rest of the recipe, just continue as before.


Third, I have brown rice flour. This will help get a light and fluffy crumb, or texture, in your muffins. Essentially, it's what white flour does in a recipe. If you were to use all whole wheat flour the muffins would be dense and heavy, and using white flour processes into sugar in your body, not good. So rice flour lightens up the ww flour and (as long as you get brown rice flour) will keep you fuller longer. You can also find this at Whole Foods.


Let's begin. In a large mixing bowl beat your eggs...


..to the beaten eggs add the bananas, applesauce, water, coconut crystals and vanilla, mix well.



To the wet mixture add the whole wheat flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix lightly. If you want a gluten free muffin you can omit the whole wheat flour and double the rice flour.


Mix in by hand fresh or frozen blueberries (or walnuts or chocolate chips, etc.)


Scoop into a lined muffin tin with an ice cream scoop and bake.


mmmmm...I hope the Good Muffins become a family favorite in your home, too!

The Good Muffins

2 eggs
3 ripe bananas
½ c no sugar added apple sauce
½ c water
¼ c coconut crystals
1 t vanilla

1 c ww flour
1 c brown rice flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt

1 c blueberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl add eggs and beat until broken up. Add bananas, apple sauce, water, coconut crystals and vanilla and mix well. On top of wet mixture add ww flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mix just to moisten. Mix in by hand blueberries (or nuts if desired). Spoon into muffin tin and bake for 25 min. Makes 16 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment