Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Aunt Lovilla's Salsa


May I begin by saying that this salsa rocks? Well, I just did so there:) Seriously though, if you're going to take the time to make fresh salsa, then this is the salsa you want.  Just after I had my first son my husbands aunt Lovilla came for a visit.  She made this amazing salsa and my husband asked if I would get the recipe so that I could make it for him. Being the dutiful wife that I am (hey now, I herd that snicker!) I obliged. Little did I know that it would soon become a favorite not just of my family's, but friends, too. Yes, I have been scolded more than once for not bringing it to a potluck, or preparing it for guests. Please learn from my mistakes, bring it to all your functions and enjoy the praises that abound for your diligence:)


Begin by finely chopping the jalepenos and garlic cloves. First remove the stems and seeds from the jalepenos, and the paper from the garlic cloves.



With a food processor or blender on, drop the jalepenos and garlic cloves into the machine. You can see in the bowl I've already dropped the garlic in here.


Scrape down the sides of the work bowl and add in tomatoes and seasonings, puree.


Place that into a medium size bowl.


Back in the work bowl of your food processor or blender add in the remaining tomatoes along with the tomatillos and cilantro. Pulse until chopped but still chunky.


Pour that on top of your puree.


Last into the bowl go the sliced green onions.  Stir to combine and chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and enjoy!



Aunt Lovilla's Salsa:

2 cloves garlic
3-6 jalapeƱo’s (I use 3)
1 ½ t salt
1 t ground oregano -or- 1 ½ t crushed oregano
½ lb fresh tomatillos (about 3-4 medium sized)
¾ bunch cilantro, chopped
1-28 oz can diced tomatoes, divided
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin

With a food processor or blender on, drop the jalepenos and garlic cloves into the machine. Place 1 c tomatoes, oregano and salt in food processor or blender and puree. Place that in a medium sized bowl. Place remaining tomatoes along with tomatillos and cilantro in processor/blender. Pulse til chunky and add that to the bowl. Add thinly sliced onions to bowl and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, over night is better. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. NOW I can make your salsa!!! Yeah, or at least as soon as we get into our own home again! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is THE salsa!!!!! Yippeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete