Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Stove Top Mac & Cheese


Stove top mac & cheese...what can I say?  It was the first thing I learned how to cook as a kid.  It's inexpensive, therefore always an option.  Needless to say, I grew up eating it and to this day, with a diet coke, it's still one of my all time favorite meals.  It instantly brings me back to the living room in my home growing up, with my sister and a video recording of the daily soaps.  Ahhh, that was the life!  But I digress...

If you got here via Facebook, then you may remember a couple years ago when I was on the search for the perfect (creamy, cheesy, yummy) home made version.  I mean how hard can it be to boil some noodles and add cheese, right? Well, it is.  I must have tried dozens of combinations of cheese, using a rue for the sauce and on and on.  Well, I finally figured it out...YES!  Even better- this recipe can easily be gluten free, I know there are many of you out there!  Wheat free or not you won't be disappointed, I hope you like it:)


Begin with pasta of your choice in a medium sauce pan.  I'm using brown rice macaroni, but I've made it with traditional macaroni as well and it's just a good.



Add cold milk and salt, place pot over medium heat.


Cook this for several minutes, til pasta is tender.  Keep close by, as the noodles cook the milk will be absorbed and thicken.  You'll want to stir the pasta a few times during cooking so that they all get cooked, especially as the milk goes down.


Once the noodles are the softness that you like add cheese.  I have some cream cheese and cheddar.


Start with the cream cheese and stir to soften.


Add in cheddar 1/2 c at a time, stirring while it melts.


Once all cheese is added let it cook for just a minute more to combine all flavors, then give it a little taste to see if it needs more salt or other seasonings (red pepper for a kick, or dry mustard for depth).  I like mine pure and cheesy, yum!

Even better is that this makes enough for 2-3 servings which means my lunch is made for tomorrow, too!

Stove Top Mac & Cheese

2 c pasta
2 1/2 c milk
1 t salt
1 c cheddar, shredded
2 oz cream cheese

In a medium sauce pan combine pasta, milk and salt.  Cook over medium heat til the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.  Stir in cream cheese til soft.  Add in cheddar 1/2 c at a time stirring to incorporate.  Taste for seasoning and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment